Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Target Flower Pillow Tutorial



Okay, here is the tutorial on how to make the flowers for this pillow.  I didn't take pictures on how to make the pillow.  I forgot and was so excited to start.  I just bought a pillow for $2 at thrift store.  I bought a yard of each material, the front and back are different fabric.  You probably don't even need that much, you could make two with a yard.  I measured my pillow and cut the fabric to fit and just sewed the sides together inside out and left a big enough hole to stuff the pillow into.  I turned the material right side out and stuffed the pillow in. After the pillow is in, I then just did a whip stitch and sewed them together.  It's not the prettiest but I'm too lazy to do an invisible seam. Learned how to do these flowers on somebody else's blog and I can't remember the blog to give her credit. This is my first tutorial so please give me feedback on whether it was too hard to understand or if I explained well enough.  thanks.                
                                                                                                                                                   
Then I measured and cut my squares of fabric for the flowers.  I cut 19" squares of fabric because I wanted my flowers big.  They are about 4-5" flowers.  The smaller your flower the smaller the square.  I cut out 9 squares for my pillow.
  

 Then I folded and ironed 4 pleats.  For smaller flowers you will probably only need 3 pleats.

 
So, here are your 4 pleats, folded and ironed. 



 Then we are going to sew a 1/4" down each side.
Now turn the fabric the other way and fold and iron 4 more pleats.  You will have pleats going each way.  Nice toes in the picture. 

 Then sew a 1/4" down the other two sides and make sure not too sew too close to the other pleats cause you don't want to sew down the pleats going the other way cause when you pop out the fabric later it won't work.
 Here is what it looks like before you pop it out.  4 pleats each way and sewn down on all sides. 

 Now just pop out the fabric.  It seems weird and you are like how will this work. 


Then take the top of the popped out fabric and begin to twist it.  This is the tricky part.  It doesn't have to be perfect and will feel really awkward like it's not right.   Just twist and press down and iron down the corners as you move from the outside of the flower in.  You will finish with the top of the flower.   

  
  
 Here is the finished product.  It will help if you use steam in your iron or a spray bottle cause it will help flatten the flower better.   
Give them all one more press with the iron before attaching them.   
 I also made sure to iron the corners of the flowers under so the didn't stick out.  When I sewed them on I made sure the needle went up through the flower as I sewed around to make sure it didn't pop out and was tightly sewed down. 
 Here is the back of the pillow. 

  

 The finished product.  A beautiful pillow that was more than half the cost of the Target pillow, which is $35.  You can even do it cheaper if you can get your material on super sale which I didn't because I had a hard time finding the colors I wanted for my bedroom.  


1 comment:

  1. My lovely assistant is sooo adorable!!! The pillow looks super HUGE with him holding it...

    ReplyDelete